Does Walmart take Apple Pay? If you are wondering whether Walmart, one of the largest retail chains in the world, accepts Apple Pay? The answer is NO (As of January 2023). Walmart does not accept Apple Pay as a payment method, either in-store or online.
Why doesn’t Walmart take Apple Pay?
Walmart does not take Apple Pay as a form of payment because it has its own mobile wallet, Walmart Pay. The company has invested heavily in developing and deploying this app and views it as an integral part of its digital customer experience.
Unlike Apple Pay, which requires customers to have an iPhone with Touch ID or Face ID capabilities, Walmart Pay can be used by customers regardless of their phone type.
Furthermore, Walmart Pay is integrated with the company’s loyalty program and offers exclusive deals to customers that use it. Although many retailers accept Apple Pay, Walmart sees its mobile wallet as a better option for its customers.
Will Walmart Accept Apple Pay in the Future?
There’s not really a great chance this will happen.
Walmart does not accept Apple Pay as a payment option. And instead, has leaned into its “Walmart Pay” application.
It has been looking into ways to serve customers better and make their shopping experience easier and more convenient, so it is possible that it may decide to accept Apple Pay in the near future. However, we can not guarantee this will change in the future.
Here’s how to use Walmart Pay at checkout
To use Walmart Pay, you will need to follow these steps:
- Make sure you have the Walmart app downloaded on your phone and that you have a Walmart account set up.
- Open the Walmart app and sign in to your account.
- Tap the “Walmart Pay” icon in the app and follow the prompts to set it up. This may include adding a payment method, such as a credit or debit card, or linking your Walmart account to a bank account.
- When you are ready to check out at a Walmart store, open the Walmart app and select the “Walmart Pay” option.
- Scan the QR code at the register with your phone to link your payment method to the transaction.
- When prompted to pay, select the “Walmart Pay” option and enter the 4-digit code or use your fingerprint or Face ID to confirm the payment.
- Your payment will be processed. And a digital receipt will be sent to the Walmart app.
That’s it! You’ve now successfully used Walmart Pay to make a payment at a Walmart store.
What are the other payment options accepted at Walmart?
Other payment options accepted at Walmart include:
- Credit/Debit Card
- Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT)
- Walmart Gift Cards and eGift Cards
- Walmart MoneyCard and MoneyCard Prepaid Mastercard
- Walmart Pay
How to pay at Walmart using the Ibotta app
To pay at Walmart using Apple Pay with the Ibotta app, you will need to follow these steps:
- Make sure you have the Ibotta app downloaded on your phone and that you have an Ibotta account set up.
- Open the Ibotta app and browse for offers at Walmart. Select the offers you want to redeem and add them to your account.
- Go to Walmart and shop as you usually would. When you are ready to check out, open the Ibotta app and select the “Pay with Ibotta” option.
- Scan the QR code at the register with your phone to link your Ibotta account to the transaction.
- When prompted to pay, select the “Apple Pay” option and use your fingerprint or Face ID to confirm the payment.
- Your payment will be processed. And the offers you selected in the Ibotta app will be redeemed automatically.
That’s it! You’ve now successfully paid at Walmart using Apple Pay with Ibotta.
Where Can I Use Apple Pay?
From clothing stores to fast food establishments and coffeehouses, Apple Pay is accepted at a wide array of popular retailers across the country- excluding Walmart.
Below is a list of some of the most common places that accept Apple Pay:
- Crate & Barrel
- American Eagle Outfitters
- Bed Bath & Beyond
- Best Buy
- Dick’s Sporting Goods
- Home Depot
- Office Depot
- Sam’s Club
Here are my best Apple Pay and digital payment tricks and tips…
From my experience as an Apple Pay user. Here’s what you should know before you walk into a grocery store with the intent to use Apple Pay:
- Make sure your phone is charged – Okay, seriously! This has been a terrible situation for me. I walk into the store, and then my phone is dead. And I have no other way to pay!
- Have a backup payment – Yes, it’s that simple. Just make sure to carry a credit and debit card with you. Not all stores and locations have Apple Pay terminals (even if the website says it).
- A little cash goes a long way – If you’re like me, having cash on you makes you feel secure. If all these payments fail, what else do I have? Saves embarrassment at the checkout counter!
Apple Pay is an easy and secure way to pay for purchases from thousands of participating outlets. Unfortunately, Walmart does not accept Apple Pay as a payment option.
However, customers can still use Walmart Pay when shopping at a Walmart store. In addition to this, Ibotta offers an alternative payment method that allows customers to pay with Apple Pay at select retailers—including Walmart.
Questions from Apple and Walmart customers:
Regrettably, Walmart does not acknowledge the convenience of digital wallets like Apple Pay, Google Pay, or Samsung Pay; they only permit their own mobile payment option: Walmart Pay.
Unlike Apple Pay and a multitude of other mobile wallets that employ NFC technology, Walmart Pay offers customers the option to scan a QR code at checkout in order to pay with their payment card saved on the app.
Apple Cash makes it easy to instantly send and receive money with a tap! Simply use your digital card in Wallet or Messages, and any incoming funds will be deposited directly onto your Apple Cash card. With that fast cash, you can then pay securely online, in stores, or anywhere else Apple Pay is accepted.
Yes, you can get cash back with Walmart Pay.
Leave a comment